When it comes time to cook PEI Mussels, follow these simple instructions to serve up delicious classically-steamed mussels.
GET COOKING - PEI MUSSELS
How To Cook Mussels
PEI Mussels are an easy and healthy meal option. They're quick and tasty and can be eaten right out of the pot or used in a variety of recipes.
Before you start cooking, you should always give your mussels a quick rinse. PEI Mussels are pre-cleaned so that's really all you need to do. The fresh water will cause the mussels to close. If there are any that don't close give them a quick tap, if they still don't close at least partially, simply discard them.
Let's Get Cooking
Here's a simple how-to for steamed PEI Mussels.
- Place a little bit of water in a pot, just ¼ cup is often enough to provide the steam.
- Turn on the heat to high.
- Add the mussels to the pot and put on the lid.
- When the steam is coming out from under the lid, peek and if the mussels are open they are done!
- This will take 5 to 10 minutes depending on how much liquid you use, the strength of heat, the weight of the pot and the amount of mussels you have.
- Tip the contents into a bowl and serve with some fresh crusty bread– it's that simple!
Knowing the proper proportions of mussels to the number of guests you have will ensure a successful event. We suggest 1 to 1¼ pounds per person for a main course or ½ pound per person for an appetizer.