When storing PEI Mussels, these best practices will help keep your mussels at their freshest until you're ready to cook.
HOW TO STORE MUSSELS
Store Mussels In Your Fridge
PEI Mussels can be stored at home in your refrigerator for a few days so you don't have to eat them right away. Here's how:
- Take mussels out of mesh bag and place in a bowl or tray and cover with a damp cloth or paper towel to keep them moist.
- Do not store them in fresh water or in a sealed container.
- A small amount of liquid will drain from the mussels each day. To maximize their shelf life drain this liquid daily.
- Just before cooking rinse PEI Mussels in fresh water in a pot or colander.
- The farther back in your fridge, the better to store your bowl.
Once you're ready to cook just take them out of the refrigerator and give one last smell to ensure freshness. They should smell fresh and salty, just like the ocean.
Freezing PEI Mussels
If you've cooked your PEI Mussels and want to save them to enjoy later, that isn't a problem. All you need to do is remove the meat of the mussels and place them in an air-tight container. Be sure to completely cover them with the broth they were cooked in. Now you will have mussels for your favourite chowder or pasta dish down the road. PEI Mussels frozen this way will last for three to four months.