Mussels with Gnocchi
Number of Servings: 4
2 lbs (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) saffron threads
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) chili flakes
1 cup (250 mL) passata (or strained then puréed canned tomatoes)
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sea salt and pepper to taste
1 lb (500 g) Gnocchi
small handful fresh parsley or basil, chopped, to garnish
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside
- Combine wine and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water with wine in a large pot over high heat. Add mussels, cover and cook until mussels open and steam is pouring out from under the lid. Remove from heat. When cool enough to handle, remove mussels from their shells. Discard any mussels that do not open. Strain cooking liquid through a sieve and set aside. Reserve a few mussels in their shell for garnish.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic, saffron threads and chili flakes. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add passata, sea salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, bring another large pot of water to a boil. Season well with sea salt. Add gnocchi to the pot and stir. When gnocchi float to the surface, they’re ready. Using a slotted spoon, scoop floating gnocchi out of the water and spoon directly into the tomato sauce. This will happen quickly. Add reserved mussels to sauce. Toss everything together.
- Serve topped with reserved mussels in their shell, parsley or basil, and crusty bread.