Mussels with Roasted Tomatoes and Garlic
Number of Servings: 4
For mussels dish:
4lbs (2 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) red chili flakes
small bunch fresh basil leaves
1 cup (250ml) vermouth
sea salt and pepper
For the roasted tomatoes and garlic:
6 plum tomatoes, halved
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sea salt
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) sugar
5 large cloves garlic, skin on
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300? and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place halved tomatoes on parchment.
- Mix salt, pepper and sugar in a small bowl. Top tomato halves with salt mixture. Place garlic cloves on parchment and drizzle a little olive oil over top.
- Slide tray into oven and roast for 1-2 hours, until garlic is soft and tomatoes have shrivelled.
- If making in advance, cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Roasted tomatoes are perfect chopped into salads, sauces and omelettes.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Squeeze soft garlic pulp from its skin and stir into pot.
- Add chili flakes, fresh basil and vermouth and cover for 2 minutes allowing the favours to mix. Chop roasted tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and stir into the pot.
- Add mussels, stir until the ingredients coat the mussels. Turn up the heat to medium high, cover and cook until steam comes out from under the lid. Stir well and discard any mussels that have not opened.
- Divide into bowls and serve with crusty bread.