Mussels with Garlicky Tomato Sauce
Number of Servings: 4
4 lbs (1.8 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup (60 mL) white wine
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh basil, finely chopped, divided
1 cup (250 mL) passata*
1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme leaves
pinch red pepper flakes
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside
- Heat oil over low heat in a large pot that has a fitted lid. Add the shallots and garlic and cook slowly until shallots are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium high and add the white wine. Bring mixture to a boil, then add 1 tbsp of the basil, the passata, thyme and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mussels to the pot and cover. Cook mussels in simmering sauce for 5-7 minutes until steam pours out from under the lid. Discard any that do not open.
- Stir well then using a slotted spoon, scoop mussels into a serving dish. Season sauce with sea salt and pepper to taste. Spoon sauce over mussels and serve with remaining fresh basil.
*Passata is an unseasoned puréed tomato sauce. Make your own by blending a can of plum tomatoes.