Miso & Sake Mussels
Number of Servings: 2
2 lb (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
3 green onions, pale green and white parts only, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) finely sliced ginger
1 Tbsp (15 mL) miso paste
sea salt and pepper
3/4 cups (180 mL) sake
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sesame oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) finely sliced nori
1 tsp (5 mL) black sesame seeds
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add most of the green onions (leave a little to garnish), garlic, ginger, miso paste and a pinch of sea salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add the sake, the mussels, stir, turn on high then cover and steam until steam comes out from under the lid and the mussels are open.
- Discard any that remain closed. Remove mussels with a slotted spoon and place divide between 2 serving bowls.
- Add sesame oil to cooking liquid and stir to combine. Pour the broth over the mussels. Garnish with nori, sesame seeds and green onions.