Chorizo and White Bean Stew
Number of Servings:
4 lb (1.8 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
2 links fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed and filing roughly chopped
1 large onion (approx. 2 cups/500 mL), chopped
1 red pepper, core removed and chopped into cubes
4 cups (1 litre) small new potatoes, washed and quartered
1 cup (250 mL) white beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup (325 mL) red wine
1 796ml (28 oz) canned diced tomatoes
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
2 cups (250 mL) water
For the fish:
1 lb (500 g) haddock, approximately 2 large fillets
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika (optional)
crusty bread to serve
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels in tap water and set aside. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Pour 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the red wine into a large pot over medium heat. Add mussels to the pan, cover and leave to simmer for 5-7 minutes, until mussels are open. Discard any mussels that do not open. When the mussels are cool enough to handle, shuck the meat from the shells and set meat aside, discard the shells.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot (with a fitted lid) over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook, until it begins to brown. Add onion and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften, about 10 minutes. Add peppers, potatoes, white beans and garlic. Turn up the heat and stir in the red wine. As the liquid bubbles, scrape any chorizo bits off the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes, salt, and 2 cups water (about half of the tomato can). Put on a lid, lower the heat, and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- While stew is simmering, prepare the fish. Lay fillets on a board and cut each portion into 4 pieces. Combine salt, pepper and paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over fish. Once potatoes are cooked, lay fish on top of stew, cover and continue to simmer for 5 minutes more, until fish is just cooked through. Add reserved mussels, tucking them beneath the pieces of fish to warm them.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread.