Billi Bi Soup
Number of Servings: 4
Source: John Bil, Ship to Shore Restaurant in Malpeque Bay, PEI
2 lb (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
2 small onions, quartered
2 sprigs parsley
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
1⁄2 bay leaf
1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) thyme
2 cups (500 mL) 35% cream (Whipping Cream)
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Place mussels in a large pot with the shallots, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, wine, butter, bay leaf and thyme. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer 5-10 minutes, or until the fresh PEI Mussels have opened. Reserve mussels for another use, or remove them from shells to use as a garnish.
- Strain the liquid through a double thickness of cheesecloth.
- Bring liquid to a boil, and add cream.
- Return to boil, and remove from heat.