Fortune Bay Mussel Chowder
Number of Servings: 4
4 lbs (1.8 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter
2 cups (500 mL) potato, diced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) flour
4 cups (1 litre) milk
2 cups (500 mL) light cream
4 strips bacon, fried crisp
1 pinch salt and pepper
3⁄4 cup (185 mL) onion, diced
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Place in a large saucepan with a small amount of water on high heat. Cover and let steam until shells open (5-7 minutes). Remove fresh PEI Mussel meat from shells, strain and reserve broth.
- Add enough hot water to broth to make 4 cups in total.
- Melt butter in pot, add onion and sauté until transparent.
- Add flour and stir to blend thoroughly with butter.
- Gradually add broth and water mixture and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, simmer until nearly done, add fresh PEI Mussels, and gently stir in hot milk and cream.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper. Garnish with bacon strips or a few fresh PEI Mussels.