Number of Servings: 6
Source: Chef Gordon Bailey
1 lb (500 g) fresh PEI Mussels
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
6 vine-ripened tomatoes
10 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2 shallots sliced
2 cups (500 mL) white wine
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
salt and pepper
4 cups (900 g) raw baby spinach
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Blanch and peel tomatoes.
- In a heavy bottom pan toss peeled tomatoes with 2 Tbsp olive oil,1 tsp of sugar and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Place in 325 degree F oven for 2 hours.
- Sweat half of the shallots and half of the garlic with 2 Tbsp of butter in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add 1 lb mussels.
- Stir to evenly coat mussels with garlic and shallots.
- Add white wine.
- Cover and steam until mussels open.
- Strain off broth and set aside.
- Shuck mussels and set aside.
- Sweat off the remainder of the garlic and shallots.
- Add the mussel broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the stewed tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes until the tomatoes partially break down.
- Add shucked mussels. Stir to combine. Season to taste.
- Fold in 4 cups of raw baby spinach just before serving.