Mediterranean Mussel Salad
Number of Servings: 5
Source: Mussel Industry Council
1 cup (250 mL) cooked fresh PEI Mussels, shucked and chopped
5 cups baby spinach, chiffonade (leaves sliced finely into long strips)
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh tarragon
1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp (10 mL) natural honey
salt and ground black pepper
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) lemon juice and zest
2 tsp (10 mL) fresh whole grain mustard
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh basil
1/3 cup (80 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) cucumbers, finely diced
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) tomatoes, finely diced
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) red and yellow peppers, finely diced
3 Tbsp (45 mL) kalamata or black olives, pitted and sliced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) feta cheese, crumbled (for garnish)
Mussel Salad - Method:
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Steam mussels in a covered pot until they open up (5-7 min).
- Remove meat from shells and set aside.
Base of Salad - Method:
- Combine the spinach and tarragon in a large bowl.
- Lightly toss spinach and tarragon with the olive oil (1/4 cup oil blended with the honey). Season with salt and pepper and set aside in the refrigerator.
To Create the Vinaigrette:
- Combine lemon juice, mustard, and herbs. Whisk in olive oil (1/3 cup) in a light stream until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine mussels, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers and black olives. Gently toss with the prepared vinaigrette.
- Set in the refrigerator for 1 hour to allow the flavours to combine. Season the chilled salad with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with Feta cheese and serve immediately.