Italian Mussels with Linguine
Number of Servings: 10
Source: NS Agriculture Fisheries and Aquaculture
5 lb (2.2 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
2 clove garlic, minced
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes, mashed
1 can (5.5 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
2 lemons, thinly sliced
1⁄8 tsp (0.6 mL) cayenne pepper
2 tsp (10 mL) dried basil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) oregano
1⁄2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
2 cups (500 mL) red wine
2 lb (1 kg) linguine
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil until golden brown in a large pot.Add next eight ingredients and simmer in covered pot over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer uncovered for another 20 minutes.
- Add fresh PEI Mussels to sauce, cover and cook over medium high heat until mussels open (approximately 10 minutes).
- Prepare linguine according to package directions, tossing with 2 tbsp (25 ml) olive oil to prevent sticking. Arrange linguine on a large tray, top with cooked fresh PEI Mussels in tomato sauce.
- Serve immediately.