Mussels with Whole Wheat Spaghetti
Number of Servings: 10
5 lbs (2.5 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
2 lb whole wheat spaghetti
cup olive oil for mixture of vegetables
1 cup (250 mL) mixture of carrots, leeks, onions and celery, minced
1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
1 cup (250 mL) mushrooms, sliced
2 red peppers, julienned
1 clove garlic, minced
4 shallots, minced
bunch fresh parsley, minced
1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside. Scrub and remove beard.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Sauté vegetables a few minutes. Add wine, bring to boil. Add fresh PEI Mussels, cover and cook over high heat until shells open, 5-7 minutes. Remove mussels from shells, keeping some in the shell for garnish.
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain. Rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add mushrooms, red peppers, garlic, shallots, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add mussels, parsley, cooked spaghetti, and heat well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately on warm plates and garnish with mussels in shell.