Thai Blue Mussels
Number of Servings: 8
Source: Select Nova Scotia
5 lb (2.25 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
4 Tbsp (60 mL) butter
4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh ginger, chopped
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Thai red curry paste
2 oz (60 ml0 can coconut milk
1 Tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce (or 1 tsp salt)
1 Tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
1 cup (250 mL) carrot, finely sliced
1 red pepper, finely sliced
cup fresh cilantro, chopped
cup fresh basil, chopped
1 lb (500 g) rice noodles
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, ginger and curry paste. Sauté for about a minute until very fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce and sugar. Simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste. Add more curry paste at this point if it’s not spicy enough.
- Add carrots, red pepper, half the cilantro, half the basil and the fresh PEI Mussels; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until mussels open.
- Discard any that remain closed.
- While fresh PEI Mussels are cooking, cook noodles according to package direction.
- Ladle noodles into bowls.
- Top with mussels, thai broth, and finish with remaining fresh cilantro and basil.