Mussels and Noodle Bake
Number of Servings: 8
4 lb (1.8 kg) fresh PEI Mussels, cooked and shucked
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) thin noodles, cooked and drained
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) butter or margarine
1 cup (250 mL) mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp (30 mL) green pepper, chopped
1⁄3 cup (80 mL) flour
4 cups (1 litre) milk
3⁄4 cup (185 mL) dry white wine or broth
2 1⁄2 slices swiss cheese
1 pinch grated paprika
1 pinch salt & pepper, to taste
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Steam and cook mussels over high heat, covered, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Place cooked PEI Mussels and noodles in a 4-quart (4-L) casserole dish. In a large frying pan, melt half the butter adding mushrooms and green pepper. Sauté until tender.
- Remove from heat and place vegetables in casserole dish. Add rest of the butter to the pan, blend flour, and then milk. On a low heat, Add salt and pepper to taste, stir constantly until thick.
- Remove from heat, stir in wine (or broth) and pour sauce into casserole dish. Toss all ingredients to coat with sauce, sprinkle cheese on top and colour with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 minutes.