Baked Blue Mussels
Number of Servings: 2
1 lb (500 g) fresh PEI Mussels
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1⁄2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) white wine
4 oz butter or margarine, softened
1 Tbsp (15 mL) parsley, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp (15 mL) chives
1 sprig of thyme
2 sprigs of parsley
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Place in a large saucepan with the shallots, thyme, parsley and bay leaf.
- Sprinkle the salt over and then add the wine. Steam for 5 minutes or until the shells have opened. Open the mussels and discard the lids.
- Divide the mussels in the remaining half shells into 4 ovenproof dishes. Make a herb butter by combining the butter, parsley, garlic and chives and place a generous portion on each mussel.
- Bake at 370°F/187°C for approximately 3 minutes or until the butter has melted.