Double Smoked Bacon and Tarragon Mussels
Number of Servings: 4
5 lb (2.2 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
2 oz (60 mL) white wine
3 oz (90 mL) double smoked bacon diced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) shallots, finely chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh tarragon, chopped
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) cream
1 bunch arugula
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Place the bacon and shallots in a covered pot. Once they start to stick and caramelize, add the tarragon.
- Stir and add the mussels and the white wine.
- Steam the mussels for 6-8 minutes, or until the mussels open up. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Remove the mussels from the pan and add the cream to the remaining broth. Reduce by a quarter.
- Serve mussels with the sauce on top in a large oval bowl with your favorite bread for dipping in the sauce. Garnish with arugula. Enjoy with a glass of the remaining wine.