Number of Servings: 4-6
5 lbs (2.25 kg) PEI mussels
2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
3 spicy or mild Italian-style sausages, in one inch chunks
2 green peppers, roughly chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) Cajun seasoning
28 ounce (800 mL) can of diced tomato
- Rinse fresh PEI mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the sausage, stirring occasionally until browned or about 5 minutes.
- Add the green peppers and Cajun seasoning. Cook until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the diced tomatoes and mussels and cover with a lid. Turn the heat to high and cook until steam pours out from under the lid and the shells are open, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for about 1 minute. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Stir mussels well to coat with sauce. For a complete meal, serve with steamed rice.