Classic Mussels with Garlic & Parsley
Number of Servings: 4
Source: Little Broken
2 lbs. fresh PEI Mussels
3 tbsp.. Butter
2 Shallots, finely chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1⁄4 Cup Dry White Wine, Such As Pinot Grigio
1 Lemon, juiced, plus extra for serving
1⁄4 Cup Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
Kosher Salt, to taste
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under running water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large shallow skillet. Add shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant and shallots begin to soften.
- Add wine and increase the heat to a medium-high to bring to a simmer.
- Add mussels, cover with a lid, and let the mussels steam for 5-7 minutes or until they have opened up.
- Add juice of one lemon, give the mussels a good stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes longer, uncovered. Transfer the mussels to a serving bowl, along with cooking liquid.
- Sprinkle with parsley, salt, to taste, and garnish with additional lemon wedges.
- Serve with crusty bread slices, if desired.