Polish-Style PEI Mussels
Number of Servings: 4
Source: A Family Feast
2 lbs. fresh PEI Mussels
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided
12 oz. Kielbasa, sliced on the bias
1⁄3 Cup Sliced Shallots
1 1⁄2 tsp. Caraway Seed
1 tbsp. Stone Ground Mustard
3 Fresh Plum Tomatoes, diced
1⁄4 Cup Extra Dry Vermouth
Chopped Fresh Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under running water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced kielbasa and cook until browned (about 3 minutes), flipping kielbasa slices half way. Use a slotted spoon to remove kielbasa to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and saute? shallots and caraway seeds for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add mustard and tomatoes and cook 1 minute, stirring to combine.
- Add mussels and vermouth and cover pan. Steam until the mussels have opened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add reserved kielbasa, gently toss and serve.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving. And don’t forget to serve with toasted bread to soak up those luscious juices!