Bourbon & Bacon PEI Mussels
Number of Servings: 2-4
Source: The Kitchen is My Playground
2 lbs fresh PEI Mussels
8 slices Bacon
1 tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/4 Cup Shallot, minced
1/3 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Bourbon
1/4 tsp. Kosher or Sea Salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under running water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium to medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Once drained and cooled, crumble bacon slices.
- Leave about 2 tablespoons bacon fat in the bottom of the saucepan; drain the rest of the fat. Add butter to the bacon fat in the pan. Add shallots and garlic and saute? over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add water, bourbon, salt, pepper, and parsley. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add PEI mussels. Cover and let steam for 5-7 minutes, until mussels are open.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with crumbled bacon, and garnish with additional chopped fresh parsley if desired.