Number of Servings: 2-4
2 lbs (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
2 tbsp. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
1 Cup Light Beer
1/4 Cup Green Onions, chopped (for garnish)
1/2 Cup Lime Juice
1/2 Cup Sriracha
1/4 Cup Honey
2 Thai Chilies, diced *
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under running water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large pan/pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, sauté until softened. Add ingredients for Firecracker Sauce as listed and stir to combine. Let simmer for 2 minutes, then add beer to pot and stir.
- Add mussels to the pot, cover and let steam for 5-7 minutes, until mussels are open.
- While mussels are steaming, warm the flatbread and chop the green onions.
- Once mussels are open, remove from heat. Spoon into dishes, sprinkle with green onions, and serve with warm flatbread and lime wedges. Yum!
* For a milder version, omit the Thai Chiles from recipe.
CHEF’S TIP: Add any leftover mussels to your favourite summer side salad, or pop them into a wrap for an extra punch of flavour at your next picnic.