PEI Mussels with Scotch and Bacon
Number of Servings: 2
2 lbs (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
4 slices of double-smoked bacon, chopped
1 small onion, roughly chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) scotch whiskey
1/4 cup (60 mL) water
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Note: For those concerned about gluten, check the scotch you are using is gluten free as some brands do contain gluten.
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- In a large pot set over medium low heat, brown the bacon for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the onion and continue cooking until the bacon is crisp and the onion has softened, another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Carefully add the scotch and water. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Add the mussels and cover with a lid. Turn the heat to high and cook until steam pours out from under the lid and the shells are open, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for about 1 minute. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Stir in the green onions and serve.