This is an exquisite white wine cream sauce with bacon and parmesan. The only thing more pleasing than the taste is how easy it is to make.
4 lb fresh PEI Mussels
1 clove garlic, finely chopped or crushed
2 shallots or ½ a medium onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
2 bay leaves
1 sprig thyme
1⁄2 cup white wine
1⁄2 cup cream
4 slices bacon
6 tbsp parmesan shavings
1⁄4 bunch parsley chopped
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Saute the bacon, shallots and garlic gently in the butter.
- When soft, turn up the heat, add the fresh PEI Mussels, thyme, bay leaves & wine, then cover and steam 4-5 minutes. The fresh PEI Mussels should be fully open.
- Add the cream and parmesan, bring to the boil, take off the heat, add the parsley.
- Check the seasoning, it may need a little pepper, then serve immediately.
- An alternative to this recipe is to remove the mussel meat and serve by itself in individual plates.
Mussels Industry Council of PEI