Mussels with Greens and Blue Cheese
Number of Servings: 10
Source: Chef Lindsay Cameron Wilson
5 lb (2.2 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
7/8 cups (207 mL) pancetta, proscuitto or bacon, diced
2 shallots, minced
juice and zest of 1 lemon
7/8 cup (200 mL) creamy blue cheese
arugula, spinach or watercress (large)
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 cup (250 mL) white wine
crusty bread to serve
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta, proscuitto or bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy. Add shallot and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add white wine, lemon juice and blue cheese. Stir briefly, then add mussels. Cover and leave to steam for 5-7 minutes, or until mussels are open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Toss in greens and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with lemon zest.
- Serve with slices of crusty bread.