Grilled Mussels on the Half Shell
Number of Servings: 5-6
3 lb (1.5 kg) fresh PEI mussels
1/4 cup (60mL) butter
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves
1 Tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped parsley
2 lemons, sliced into rounds
Sea salt and pepper
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Heat grill (BBQ) to medium heat. Brush lightly with oil.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add thyme leaves and chopped parsley. Set aside.
- Tip mussels on the grill alongside sliced lemons. Grill until mussels open. Throw away any that do not open. Use tongs or a heat proof spatula to slide them off the grill into a large bowl. Grill both sides of lemon until grill marks appear.
- To serve, place mussels on a platter or single serving plates and drizzle butter over top. Garnish with lemon slices.