Mussels with Leeks and Saffron
Number of Servings: 4
2 lbs (1kg) PEI mussels
1 tbsp olive oil
3 leeks, (2 cups/ 500ml) white and pale green parts only, finely sliced and rinsed
1 small fennel bulb, (2 cups/500ml) outer layer removed and finely sliced, fronds reserved
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt and a few grinds black pepper
1/2 tsp saffron
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup vermouth or pernod
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add leeks, fennel and garlic and sauté until everything softens, 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. Make a space in the middle of the pan and add saffron and thyme and stir to heat through.
- Turn up the heat and add wine (or pernod) and PEI mussels.
- Cover and steam the mussels until shells open, 3-5 minutes. Stir well to coat and serve with fennel fronds.