Paella with Mussels and Prawns
Number of Servings: 4-6
1 lb (500 g) PEI mussels
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
2 chorizo sausages, chopped
1 cup (250 mL) pancetta, cut into small pieces
1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, peeped and roughly chopped
1 bunch parsley, stalks and tops separated, both roughly chopped
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika
1 pinch saffron
1 cup (250 mL) paella rice (medium grain rice will do)
1 x 28 fl oz (796 mL) can chopped tomatoes
4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
1 x 19 oz (540 mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
12 large shrimp, shells removed
handful green beans, trimmed and sliced
lemon wedges to serve
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the chorizo and pancetta. Fry until everything is crispy.
- Add the pepper, garlic, onion, parsley stalks, salt, pepper, paprika and saffron. Sauté over low heat for 10 minutes, until vegetables soften.
- Add the rice and chickpeas and stir well to coat the rice.
- Then add 3/4 of the stock, bring to a boil then turn down to a gentle simmer. Stir from time to time, about 15 minutes, until rice still has a little bite to it.
- Add PEI Mussels and shrimp, plus a little more liquid, if it looks dry. Stir well until the mussels begin to open. Add green beans and cook, stirring, a few minutes more, until rice is nicely cooked through.
- Serve with lemon wedges and chopped fresh parsley.