Number of Servings: 4
2 lb (1 kg) fresh PEI mussels
1/4 cup (60 mL) bacon, finely chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
2 shallots, finely sliced
1/2 cup (or about 20) button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 apple, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
1/2 cup (125 mL) Calvados
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) cream, coffee or whipping cream
sea salt and pepper
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the bacon and stir, often, until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon and drain on paper towel.
- To the bacon fat add butter. When foamy, add shallots and sauté until soft.
- Add mushrooms and apples and sauté 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Calvados and stir well, scrapping any tasty brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add cream, sea salt and pepper, stir well, then add mussels. Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that do not open. Stir well, taste for seasoning, and serve.