Number of Servings: 4
1/4 cup (1/2 lb /110g) bacon, finely chopped
2 tbsp butter
2 shallots, finely sliced
1/2 cup (1/2 lb/250g about 20) button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 apples, peeled, cored and cut into small cubes
1/2 cup (125ml) Calvados
1 1/2 cups (360ml) cream – coffee or whipping cream
sea salt and pepper
2 lbs (1kg) mussels
- Rinse the mussels under running fresh water. Throw away any that do not close.
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the bacon and stir, often, until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon and drain on paper towel.
- To the bacon fat add butter. When foamy, add shallots and sauté until soft.
- Add mushrooms and apples and sauté 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Calvados and stir well, scrapping any tasty brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add cream, sea salt and pepper, stir well, then add mussels. Cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that do not open. Stir well, taste for seasoning, and serve.