Number of Servings: 3
4 lb (1.8 kg) fresh PEI mussels
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
2 cloves garlic
4 green onions (scallions), white part only, finely sliced
1 chipotle pepper, taken from a can of chipotle in abodo sauce*, finely chopped
4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) tequilla
1 cup (250 mL) fish stock
handful of fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1 lime, sliced into wedges
*store remainder of the can in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 months
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and green onions and and stir occasionally, until softened.
- Add chipotle and tomatoes, stirring to combine.
- Add tequilla and fish stock, stirring well.
- Add mussels to pot and cover. Leave to steam for 5-7 minutes, until mussels are open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Toss mussels well in the sauce. Divide between serving bowls. Top with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.