Sherry, Fennel & Orange Marinated Mussels
Number of Servings: 10
Source: Canadian Cove, Atlantic Aqua Farms, PEI
5 lb (2.2 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1 head, fennel
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) orange juice
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) sherry vinegar
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) grape seed oil
5 cloves of garlic
small handful orange zest, orange segments and fennel fronds
1. Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
2. Finely slice the shallots and garlic. Sweat in a large pot until tender.
3. Deglaze with the sherry vinegar and orange juice.
4. Bring to a boil and add the mussels. Cover to steam the mussels and once they open, refrigerate. Discard any mussels that do not open.
5. Stain the cold liquid and add the finely sliced fennel and grape seed oil.
6. Pour the liquid over the mussels and garnish with orange zest, orange segments and fennel fronds.