Number of Servings: 2
Source: Chef Gordon Bailey
2 lb (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
2 cups (200 g) orzo pasta
6 clove garlic, chopped
1 shallot, finely diced
4 Tbsp (60 mL) butter
2 1⁄2 cups (625 mL) white wine
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) heavy cream
2 Tbsp (30 mL) mixed fresh herbs chopped
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
salt and pepper
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and sicard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Bring water to a rolling boil and add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of salt.
- Add pasta to boiling water and stir.
- Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until desired tenderness is reached (al dente, approximately 8 minutes).
- Drain well and set aside.
- Sweat half of the garlic and shallots with 2 Tbsp of (30 mL) butter in a heavy bottom pan. Add mussels.
- Add 2 cups (500 mL) of white wine. Cover and steam until mussels open. Strain off broth and set aside. Shuck mussels and set aside.
- Sweat the remainder of the garlic and shallots with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter.
- Deglaze with ½ cup (125 mL) of white wine and reduce the liquid by two-thirds. Add shucked mussels and stir.
- Add cooked orzo pasta, ¼ cup (60 mL) of heavy cream and fresh herbs. Stir to combine all ingredients and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.