Number of Servings: 2
1 lb (500 g) fresh PEI Mussels
1 Tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) white onion, diced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
2 Tbsp (30 mL) red wine
1 16 oz can tomatoes, crushed
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh oregano, chopped
1 small bay leaf
1 pinch salt and pepper
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until onions are transparent.
- Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute.
- Add half the wine, reduce, then add remaining wine, tomato, herbs and seasoning. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Cover and steam mussels in small amount of water over high heat until open (5-8 minutes).
- Pour sauce over mussels.