Steamed Mussels in White Wine
Number of Servings: 6
Source: Family Recipe
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1 1⁄2 cup white wine
1 tsp butter
1 tsp flour
1⁄4 tsp saffron
2 egg yolks
5 lb fresh PEI Mussels
1 tbsp shallots, chopped
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- In a large kettle, combine parsley, white wine, and shallots, and bring to a boil.
- Steam the mussels in the boiling liquid until opened. Drain and save the cooking stock.
- Remove only top shells of mussels and discard. Arrange mussels in ovenproof serving casserole. Strain cooking liquid through cheese cloth. Pour in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter, and add flour to make roux. Stir roux in stock and whisk to thicken.
- Add the saffron. Pour a little sauce into egg yolks. Mix well and stir into remaining sauce.
- Heat sauce but do not boil. Season to taste with salt, pepper. Sometimes you'll find the mussel stock has enough salt already.
- Pour sauce over the hot mussels. Serve immediately.