Number of Servings: 2
Source: Mussel Industry Council PEI
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 clove garlic, chopped
1⁄2 cup white wine
2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
4 broad, thick slices of country bread
1 pinch crushed hot red pepper
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
16 fresh PEI Mussels (approx 3/4 lb)
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- In a wide, shallow pan over medium heat, warm half the oil. Add half the garlic and cook until the garlic turns gold, about 3 minutes. Add the fresh PEI Mussels, cover, and cook over high heat until the shells are open, about 5 minutes.
- Add half the wine and cook uncovered until the alcohol has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the shells.
- In a clean wide, shallow pan over medium heat, warm the remaining oil. Add the remaining garlic and the crushed red pepper, and cook for about 3 minutes, until the garlic turns gold.
- Add the remaining wine, and continue cooking until it evaporates, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and fresh PEI Mussel mixture, and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the parsley, stir, and remove from the heat.
- Grill or toast the bread and top each slice with a portion of the fresh PEI Mussel mixture.