Number of Servings: 8
2 lb (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1-1/4 cups (or a 10 oz package) frozen spinach or broccoli, chopped
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) milk
2 eggs, beaten
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) medium cheddar cheese, shredded
1⁄2 cup (125 mL) fine dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp (30 mL) onion, chopped
1⁄4 cup (60 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter, melted
8 custard cups or 6 oz pastry shells
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Cook spinach or broccoli according to package directions; drain well, pressing out the excess liquid. Set aside.
- Add water to a large covered pot. Add the mussels and cover. Steam 5-7 minutes.
- Drain mussels, reserving liquid. Add milk to mussel liquid to equal ½ cup. If desired, set aside 8 mussels for garnish.
- In bowl combine eggs, milk mixture, spinach (or broccoli), cheese, ¼ cup of bread crumbs, onion, and mussels. Spoon mixture into custard cups or pastry shells. Place in shallow baking dish.
- Combine remaining bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and butter; sprinkle over mixture in cups. Bake at 350°F/180°C for 20 minutes. Garnish with the reserved mussels.