SPICY B.M.T. (Bacon, Mussels, Tomato)
Number of Servings: 2-4
2 lbs (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1 tbsp (15 mL) Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
4 strips of Thick-Cut Bacon, chopped
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) Chili Pepper Flakes
1/2 cup (125 mL) Red Wine
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under running fresh water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large pan/pot over medium heat. Add bacon and once it begins to cook, add the garlic and cherry tomatoes. Stir occasionally until garlic is sautéed, tomatoes are softened and bacon is cooked, but not crispy.
- Add red wine, and child pepper flakes, stir to combine.
- Add PEI Mussels to the pan, cover, turn heat to high, and cook until steam comes out from under the lid about 5-7 minutes, until mussels open.
- Serve with your favourite crusty bread; it’s perfect for sopping up that lovely sauce.