Number of Servings: 3
Source: Chef Lindsay Cameron Wilson
2 1⁄2 lb fresh PEI Mussels
4 tbsp butter
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
dried red chili flakes (to your taste)
1⁄2 tsp dried basil
1⁄2 tsp dried oregano
1⁄2 tsp sugar
1 can diced plum tomatoes (796ml / 28 fl oz)
sea salt and pepper to taste
crusty bread to serve
- Rinse fresh PEI Mussels under tap water. Tap any mussels that are still open and discard any that do not close after being tapped and rinsed. Set aside.
- Place butter, onion quarters, chili flakes, basil, oregano, sugar, diced tomatoes and their juice, salt and pepper. Stir, crushing tomatoes with the spoon. Allow sauce to simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Add a little water, 1/4 cup, if sauce is too thick.
- Tip mussels into pan and cover. Leave to steam for 5-7 minutes, until mussels are open. Discard onion quarters and any mussels that do not open. Keep sauce warm.
- Remove mussels with a slotted spoon. Remove top shells from mussels. Pour sauce onto a serving platter. Arrange bottom shells (with meat inside) on top of sauce.
- Serve with sliced crusty bread.