Gazpacho Mussel Shooters
Number of Servings: 24 or 4
Source: Chef Alain Bossé
2 lbs (1 kg) fresh PEI Mussels
1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded & finely diced
1/2 medium yellow pepper, finely diced
1/2 English cucumber, finely diced
2 shallots, finely diced
2 ribs of celery, finely diced
1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
1 cup (250 ml) tomato juice
2 Tbsp (30 ml) chipotle Tabasco sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse the PEI mussels under running fresh water. Throw away any that do not close.
- In a large pot, add the mussels and wine. Cover with a lid and cook on high for approximately 5 to 6 minutes or until steam is pouring out from under the lid.
- Let the mussels cool. Remove the mussel meat from the shells and put it in a covered bowl or dish. Reserve 1 cup (250 ml) of the broth. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Place the tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, shallots and celery in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, mussel broth, tomato juice and Tabasco. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate the gazpacho for at least two hours before serving.
- To serve, put two mussels in the bottom of each 2 oz (60 ml) shot glass, fill with gazpacho, garnish with an additional mussel and sprinkle of salt.